Monday, June 10, 2013

School

During sixth grade, I was invited to be in the PUPs program at Provo High School. I would take all of my seventh and eighth grade classes at the high school, with a small group of other students. Basically I would have seventh and eighth grades at Provo High instead of a middle school. I thought about it, took a tour of the school, and eventually chose to go, even though none of my best friends at the time would be going. I loved it. Our group was small, only thirty or so people, and we got to know everyone. It was a very tightly knit group. I thrived. I made lots of good friends, and fell in love with the school. Even today my loyalty for Provo High surpasses any loyalty I might have for Cedar High. The PUPs were even going to have unique chances after we went on to High School grades. I was really excited to be a ninth grader at Provo High. Moving Schools was probably the hardest part of going to Cedar City.
I started school in Cedar City as a normal student at Cedar High School. It was really difficult to not know anyone and be just a single person in a swarm of freshmen. I hadn't gotten into any honors classes because I signed up for school just a few days before it started.  For the two years earlier I had been part of a small special gro9up, and I was part of something. The first two days of school were so hard. I was no one. Nobody knew me, and I was in nothing special. I had such a horrible time that I came home crying. I just couldn't stand it. School was so terrible.
That weekend my mom went to a place called SUCCESS Academy. Students at SUCCESS Academy go to a boundary school for half of the school day, and go to the multipurpose building on SUU campus for half of the day. SUCCESS Academy covers core subjects(Math, English, Science, plus a few others), giving students both high school and college credit. If everything works out, students should have and Associates degree by the time they graduate from high school. SUCCESS is made up of two cohorts(AM and PM) for each grade(ninth through tenth). To get in a student must apply, and be chosen in the lottery, or be a child of the faculty and staff. My mom talked to the principal, and got a job as a consultant in Math(she has a PhD in math, and is a professor at SUU). Since my mom was now a part of the faculty and staff I was eligible to be in SUCCESS without going through the lottery(which was done and gone before summer started). I started SUCCESS on my third day of school and have loved it. My cohort has about thirty people, and we have four teachers at SUCCESS that we can really get to know, and who really care about us.I have thrived in SUCCESS it is just about perfect for me. I am a part of something special again.

No comments:

Post a Comment