Friday, June 7, 2013

My Dad

My parents are divorced. Previous to the move, it was easy to see my dad. He lived in Salt Lake, about a 45 minute drive from Provo. My brother and I would go up to see him every other weekend, and he was entitled to an afternoon every week(usually down in Provo). He was also entitled to some holidays. My dad hates living in Utah, but moved to and ultimately stayed in Salt Lake because he wanted to live near my brother and me. It means a lot to me that he lived someplace that he hated so that he could be nearby people that he loved. 
It was hard to leave him and move to Cedar City. I was not used to being so far away from him, and not being able to see him very often. I missed him a lot, and tried to keep in touch with phone calls. They worked, but still did not make up for the lost time, spent just being around each other. We started writing letters to each other. It was the highlight of my week to receive that letter in the mail. It was a great way to let each other know how much we cared, and I keep the letters that I got from my dad safely stored in a box, where I can read them whenever I need a quick pick me up. Writing letters to my dad was not always easy, but it was always worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment